Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 22, 2012

question some parables (Matthew 25)


As we close on the ending, Jesus has three more parables.  In the first, 10 girls are given lamps.  Five save enough oil and five do not.  When the bridegroom arrives the five without oil ask for some from the others.  They are refused, and while they run off to get more oil the five with oil are let in to the feast.   By the time the others return they are told it is too late to enter because they need to know when the time will come.

In the next parable, three servants are given money.  Two invest and make more and one just buries it in the ground.  When the owner returns he rewards the two servants who made more and throws the other one into the darkness.

Finally Jesus talks about the coming of the Son of Man.  He talks about a King coming and dividing the people into two groups.  One group is rewarded because they helped the King when he was hungry and thirsty and when he was sick and in prison.  When the group asks when did we help you, the King replies ``When you did it for the least important, you did it for me.`` And he punishes the other group for their refusal to help.  They will receive eternal punishment while the righteous receive eternal life.

I totally get the last one.  Treat everybody – even the lowliest – with love and respect and you will be rewarded.  If you don`t you receive punishment.  But this is also where I get confused.  The five dumb girls who didn't have enough oil where ignored by the five wise girls who did.  Shouldn't they have been kinder to the foolish girls and helped them out.  Shouldn't the king have been kinder to the servant who buried the money.  Sure the girls were foolish not to be ready and yes the servant was foolish not to use what he had, but if that is their only crime, eternal punishment hardly seems fair. 

4 comments:

  1. With regards to the five maidens, it was meant to remind people that they should always be prepared, for we don't know when the master of the house will return. If we are living as there is no God, and when judgement comes it will be too late to say I believe when we are being judged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we should always be prepared and I agree that doing good especially for the unfortunate is the way to be prepared. Being kind is never wrong. But you mentioned belief and a judgment day. And this is where my mind spins out of control. If you lead a good life, then does it matter if you believe. What kind of god would deny a good person who doesn't believe? But assuming that reality only exists if you believe... (I know I am muddling here.) If you don't believe in the Kingdom then you can't experience it. Fair enough. But why then can you experience the horrors of hell when you don't believe in that either. Why would God go out of his way to punish people just because they don't believe despite the good life they may already have lived? And I am not even sure why he bothers to punish even the most horrible of people. What is gained by having these people suffer from the perspective of us, the suffering, or God?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When one learns about what is good, they cannot unlearn it; therefore, when the truth is revealed to someone they cannot say that they did not know. This is in John 19:41 "Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."

    A good life is relative, is a rich person who gives to many apt to lead a good life? Or is it the poor person who gives out of poverty? in Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

    Good deeds cannot save a person, but good deeds show the fruit of the Spirit.

    I really enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are enjoying my ramblings. I enjoy reading what you and others have to say as well. It helps me sort out my own thoughts. I am avoiding any other source besides the paperback modern version of the New Testament that I am reading and the online King James version that I sometimes check so anything from others is greatly appreciated.

    I think I understand the idea of good deeds vs faith. But faith is something that we have no real control over. As much as you might tell me to believe I can't force my mind to do so. (Nor could I force you not to have faith.) However, if you tell me to give to charity or help the unfortunate or give of my time or whatever, I can make that decision. I might choose otherwise and make excuses but I still have that control.

    As well, I can read the Bible and listen to Jesus and what he tells us to do. And like any advice I can accept or reject and most of what Jesus tells us we should do for others e.g. love, forgive, etc. are easy to accept.

    Faith is an entirely different concept. You either have it or you don't. And it would make a really interesting case study. How much faith do people have in god vs how much faith do people have in family vs how much faith do people have in the general goodness of society or our future. I think I have faith. But not in things of a religious nature.

    ReplyDelete