Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

is keep attending

I missed the Sunday Learn to Run session because of another appointment.  Even though I went to the gym early in the morning and did at least as much running as I would have at the track, I still felt guilty.

I am not what you would call a self-motivator.  Many, many years ago, I tried to do some running.  I started in the summer holidays and continued for a couple of weeks into September.  As soon as the weather turned ugly, I quit.  There was nothing to keep me going.

When I joined the gym in 2005, I was motivated by helping my daughter who was going to have back surgery and was advised to keep limber before her surgery.  Once her surgery was complete and she was not allowed to use the gym for the early stages of her recovery (and she never did return anyway) I had an easy excuse to quit myself.  But I didn't.  I had made the self-motivating decision to pay the full year membership which meant that I was wasting my money if I didn't go.

I know this sounds weird.  In seven years of gym membership I have probably spent enough money to buy a treadmill, a rowing machine, a stationary bike etc.  However, if they were in the house they would probably sit unused.  By paying a membership up front, I feel I have to go to get my money's worth.  (I blame this on my Scottish mother.)

The Learn to Run group gives me another motivation.  If I don't show up, I am not only letting myself down (which I could easily rationalize), but I feel I am letting down the trainers who have volunteered their time and the other runners who rely on each other for motivation.

I am not sure how others keep motivated, but guilt works for me.  See you Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment