Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 3, 2012

is praise treadmills (sort of)

The other day, Bob, one of the trainers at Learn to Run, referred to a treadmill as a dreadmill and I think most of us would agree.  Running on a treadmill is very tedious.  Listening to music or watching TV can help but there is really nothing that can be done to alleviate the boredom.  But that is also true of running the track and even the roads except the latter does allow for some changes of view. 

Today, I had the pleasure of using the treadmill next to Jennifer Rice and we had (at least for me) an enjoyable conversation.  As a result I ran one of the fastest miles (my limit right now) in quite some time.  To be clear, it still took me 11-12 minutes, but those 11-12 minutes zipped by quickly.  Unless I can get into some kind of mental zone, conversation is the best way to make the time move along.

However, when you are outside with a running partner there are problems.  The other day, I ran with Ray, another trainer, for two or three of our run/walk rotations.  The time did pass more quickly but even though he was trying to keep down to my level, I still found it difficult to keep up with him.  All of us have our own pace and as much fun as it might be to keep together, it is not always possible.

On the treadmill, this is not a problem.  Jennifer was running faster than I was but she never moved ahead of me.  Even when I completed my mile and was walking, she was still right beside me.  Both of us going at our own pace; both of us distracted by the conversation.     

No comments:

Post a Comment