Total Pageviews

Friday, April 6, 2012

is to get the concrete from the abstract (John 10 - 17)


Jesus continues to emphasize that we must believe in him to gain eternal life and he uses his miracles as evidence that he comes from God.  In fact at one point he says that he and God are one.   The people are outraged that he calls himself God; they say he is only a man.

Before Jesus brings Lazarus back to life he tells Martha that he is the resurrection and the life and that all who believe in him will not die.  And the Jewish authorities are upset when Lazarus is brought back to life because then people will start believing in Jesus and the Romans, for some reason, would destroy the temple.   They plot not only to arrest and kill Jesus but they also want to kill poor Lazarus.  

Then, after predicting his own death and suffering, Jesus gives the new commandment which is to love one another.  In fact he says that if you love one another people will know that you are his followers.   It is a good sentiment.  Maybe it’s not always possible but it’s worth trying nonetheless.   
   
But this is followed by abstract messages of truth and belief.  When I started reading the gospels I wanted to try to see what was there.  And John is very hard.  I can read what is said but they are just words on a page.  Riddles.  Love and forgiveness are abstract for sure but most people have some kind of concept that goes with those words.  Belief is meaningless unless we have a word or a concept that we can believe.  Jesus says “believe in God and believe in me.  I am the way and the truth and the life.  I will prepare a place in my father’s house.  If you ask for anything in my name it will be given.” 

He goes on to say that if we love him we will obey his commandments and the Holy Spirit will enter us and teach us everything and help us remember everything that Jesus told us.   He also tells us that he is in the father and that we are in Jesus and that Jesus is in us.  And then he says that the greatest love a person can have for his friends is to give his life for them.  And then he says that he is our friend.

All this is said just before the arrest and trial of Jesus.

This is the briefest of summaries and I am cheating because I am not writing about everything.  But my problem remains.  None of those words move me in the slightest.  They may move others but they don’t move me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment