Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 19, 2012

is set some goals

It was just over a year ago (April 12 to be exact) that I failed the beep test and decided to start running.  With the encouragement of Jenn Foulser who was working with me at PRSS and Denise Wilson, the PE teacher who allowed me to run with her class, I set a goal of running 5k at the Cannery Run in September.  I managed to do that in 32:05 which I thought was pretty good.

My next goal was 10K and I was working on that until my retina detached and I had to take almost three months off.  Fortunately, the Learn2Run program started just as my eye was healing enough to begin running again.

(Momentary digression:  I had no idea what the Learn2Run program would do or how I would respond.  Turns out it was one of the best decision I could have made.  The trainers are not just good runners with a program that we can follow.  They are exceptionally knowledgeable and incredibly enthusiastic and supportive.  On top of that, running with a group motivates me far more than I would have imagined.  There is always somebody in front of me that drives me to keep going.  If they don't stop, then I won't stop.  If they do stop, then I want to pass them.)

We are almost finished the program and the goal has been from the beginning to participate in the 10k Glory Days in May.  I am certain that I will be able to do that.  Last week, I completed the 8k run at the Rupert Half Marathon (in 52:19) and I had no trouble running for an hour on Tuesday.  So here is where my new goals kick in.

Whenever I attempted running in the past, I had no idea of pacing.  I would burn out early, get discouraged and quit.  (Another digression:  An advantage of Learn2Run is the forced pacing that the program follows.  We started by running for ONE minute and walking for two.  I remember when running 3 minutes and walking one was a big chore.  But starting slow and building up has made a 60 minute run manageable.)

Now I have a pretty good pace (for me.)  I manage about 6.5 minutes for each kilometer.  That's what I did at the Cannery Run over 5k and that's what I did last week over 8k.  So my first goal is to improve on that pace.  Not by a lot because I don't want to burn out, but I think there is room to improve. 

And to make this a goal a real challenge (for me) is to aim for beating my age in a 10K race.  I am almost 61 so I have to finish in under 61 minutes.   I am not sure I have given myself enough time for this year's race.  At my current pace, I should finish around 65 minutes.  But even if I don't do it this year, each year I stay alive allows me another chance and also another minute.  Next year, I will have 62 minutes to reach my goal.  Anyway, that is goal #1.

Goal number #2 might be unattainable, but I want to at least try.  If I say it to enough people (and this blog has at least a couple of readers) then I will feel obligated to follow through.  I am going to see how much time through the summer I have for training but I would like to complete the half marathon at the Cannery Run in September. At my current pace, I would need about 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

So to make sure that it is on the record, here is Goal #2:   "I would like to complete a half marathon before I die.  It might be what kills me but I'll give it a shot just the same."

No comments:

Post a Comment