Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

is slap someone (metaphorically of course)

A group of kids across the Lower Mainland have created a youtube video for anti-bully day.  They dance to Lady Gaga's "I Was Born This Way", a song encouraging the acceptance of others.


Sounds great, right?

Well not according to a group of parents in Burnaby who think the song sends the wrong message. They think that some of the kids involved may actually watch the Lady Gaga video and see (horrors!) simulated sex scenes.  One person actually said that the lyrics may offend atheists because of the chorus :

"I'm beautiful in my way, 'cause God makes no mistakes, I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way."

Note to group.  I am an atheist and I am actually offended that you would think I would be offended by those words.

But worst of all is the comment of one of the spokespeople.  Here is the link to the CTV story.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120228/bc_gaga_born_this_way_video_parents_voice_120228/20120228/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

At the 1:00 mark, some guy actually says that the anti bully message might have a hidden agenda.  That it is saying "Hey.  Gay is OK" 

You said What?  Slap!  What?  Slap!  What?  Slap!

And just to make the story even worse, we get to see Miss Photo Op dancing with the kids.  When asked about the controversy she ducks.  Instead of taking the unequivocal position that being gay IS OK and she does not support that particular parent group, she claims that she doesn't pay attention to the lyrics.  (Yes Dick Clark I am giving a 10/10 because it has a good beat.)  Lame, Christy.  Very Lame.

And just to be clear, I am not opposed to this group expressing their opinion.  I am a strong believer in free speech even the stuff that I am totally against.  But in this case I relish their comments.  I honestly believe that the more often they spout their stupidity, the more quickly we can get over the poisonous stance they take.  

No comments:

Post a Comment