Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

is appreciate a different route


On Sunday, the Learn to Run group decided that running around the track would not be safe because the snow had frozen unevenly and the risk of twisted ankles and pulled muscles was increased.  Instead we ran around the block from the bowling alley to Sherman GM which was actually a pleasant change.  It was still a circle, but a different circle.  And, despite the extra cold weather, I didn’t notice the wind the same way that I notice the wind at the track. 

I also noticed how much easier it was to run for the three minutes compared to our first three minute runs on Tuesday.  On Tuesday, I was looking forward to the end of each three minute run.  On Sunday, I had to force myself to stop.

On Monday night while watching the snow drift, I wondered what it would be like running (trudging?) through a couple of inches of snow.  No need to worry.  On Tuesday, we ran along Wantage Road from the Lester Centre parking lot to the maintenance shed.  This was another pleasant short route.  I can see the value of running the track.  You are never far from your parked car and it is almost impossible to get lost.  But these short routes break up the monotony of the track and still give us the sense of an end that is not far away.  Even though we are focusing on time rather than distance it is still feels good to get to one end of the road and then turn around knowing that the its not all that far to the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment