Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2012

is regain stamina

Not having run in almost three months I am not surprised at how slowly I am regaining my stamina.  On Tuesday, the Learn to Run group did three minute runs followed by two minute walks (seven times) and I was looking forward to the whistle that ended each three minute run.  It was a bit easier tonight with two minute runs and two minute walks.

However, I am surprised (but perhaps I shouldn't be) at how much teaching stamina I have lost.  Right now, I am half way through a six day teaching assignment.  The classes are good.  I have a small, very quiet Law class.  My biggest challenge is getting them to talk about the case studies.  I have a block that I spend helping in the Opportunities Room.  I have latched on to three kids in three different levels of Math.  They are pleasant and willing to accept my help.  In the afternoon, I have two SS 9 classes.  One has a few girls who are not at all interested in school and a handful of boys who are attention seekers with a ready audience but they are no where near the worst class I have ever encountered.  The other group is a surprisingly well mannered group of Grade 9s.  In other words, I can't complain about the classes.

The teacher left clear topics for me to follow and while I am not completely familiar with them (I never taught Law or SS9) it doesn't take me too long to organize myself so I can teach the lessons. I collect small assignments which I mark, but nothing that requires a whole lot of after school time. I don't have any of the other responsibilities or stresses of the regular classroom teacher.

SO WHY AM I EXHAUSTED AT THE END OF EACH DAY??

I know as an ex-teacher it might sound self-serving to describe how difficult it is to be a teacher, but I am beginning to wonder how I managed for 34 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment