Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 24, 2012

keep a steady pace

This week was a little different than the others.  On Tuesday we ran for 45 minutes doing most of the Glory Days 5K portion plus the getting there and getting back so somewhere between 6 and 7K.  Knowing I couldn't make Thursday, I decided to go to the track on Wednesday and do speed drills with Ray and Bob.  Tough stuff but I was able to complete the 8 laps (with a 100m walking break between) at a pace faster than normal - in other words "no talking allowed (or for the punsters aloud).

On Friday, I did four laps trying to calibrate my IPod so it is a little more accurate.  And on Saturday, at 7:30 a.m. in gorgeous sunshine, I ran 5K to test the newly calibrated IPod.  It said I ran 5.28K which was much more accurate than usual but still not good enough.  I completed the 5K in 29'55'' which is a couple of minutes better than my first 5K at the Cannery Run.

On Sunday, we ran 13K which is our longest run yet.  I ran the first 6.5 with Ray and for reasons too difficult to explain, Ray checked our pacing.  We were running a 5'40"/km, much faster than the 6 min/km that I seem to find comfortable.  Ray continued on and Gail who was not far behind us caught up to me.  By the time we reached 9K, I had to slow down.  (I had probably been slowing down before that.)  When we reached the beginning of the hill from the SPCA to Sherman, I told Gail to go ahead as I was finding it too difficult to maintain her pace.  In fact, there were a couple of times on that hill where I almost felt like quitting.  I managed to keep going and the rest of the way in was fine.

Unfortunately, when I went to check my IPod to see the time and the accuracy of the calibration, I discovered that I had mistakenly shut it off after 7 minutes.  Brilliant technician I am.  I am pretty sure that I did the first half in 36 minutes and the back half in 39 which is still an ok pace.

Side note: I would love to learn the story behind some of the items found on the side of the road.  As I am chugging along,  I noticed what appeared to be a lady's under garment.  Now, how did that get there?

No comments:

Post a Comment