Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 15, 2012

is run 5K

When I started running all I wanted to do was run 5K.  Now I am just 5K short of running a half marathon. 

Last Sunday I ran 14K in about 82 minutes.  That's getting pretty close to a half marathon in slightly over two hours, ten or so minutes below my goal of 2'15".  I felt good after the run and figured I could go further.

On Tuesday, we ran to the recycling depot and back along the old highway.  On Thursday, we ran Butze - twice!  That was my first feeling of failure.  The day hadn't been a good one for running - worked a lot in the garden, ate at the wrong times, a hotter than usual day - so I was already struggling before I took a step.  I managed to get around the first loop ok but doing the loop a second time, I ran out of energy when we reached the hills heading back.  For the last 15 minutes, I walked more than I ran. 

Butze is brutal so I shouldn't have felt too bad, but I was worried about today's 16K run.

I was fine until the 12K mark and then I felt the need to slow down.  I tried to keep up with Gail and Mike but there was no way that was possible.  I clocked in at just over 95 minutes which is still under a 6 min/km but I am not sure how much further I could have gone today.  I shouldn't (and won't) get discouraged - yet.   At this pace, I need to run the last 5K in 40 minutes to beat my goal which I should be able to do even if I to walk for half of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment