Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 20, 2012

is complete 19 more

I have just completed my first week of training for the half marathon.

On Wednesday, I took a rest day, and on Thursday, a small group of us ran just under 5K (about 30 minutes).  The program I am following has five days of running but only one of them is a long run.  Each Sunday, I am supposed to build toward 21.1K but the rest of the week are all 30-50 minute runs.  I am not sure if I can run five days a week but four should be manageable.

On one of the days, I am supposed to work on speed.  On Friday, I went to the gym and did just that.  For 15 minutes, I ran 5.5 mph (11 minute mile) which is about my usual pace, and then for 10 minutes I increased it.  For four minutes I ran at 5.8, then for three minutes I ran at 6.0, and then for the final three minutes, I slowly decreased it back to 5.5.  I then finished the session by running another 15 minutes at my normal speed.  The faster running for 10 minutes was not a strain but I am not sure how long I could have lasted going that fast.

Today, five of us ran 10K.  For the first little bit, I thought my legs were going to stiffen up, but everything was fine after I was fully warmed up.  Walking the first 100m may not be enough time to prepare my body for these runs.  Next time, I will park at CHSS at walk to the Lester Centre.

I am still experiencing negative thoughts about the formidable distance, but I felt good at the end of the 10K and know I can go further.  I was slightly slower than last week`s Glory Days but not by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment